Friday, February 5, 2010

Trying to mix Diamond Glaze with UV Resin

I live by the beach, in a high rise condo, with southern exposure. My balcony heats up like a frier! But it's great, because I always have sun and no blockage because I'm far enough away from the next building. That makes playing with UV curing resin lots of fun.

I love glitter and shine, but I don't like to polish my polymer clay, and glitter doesn't bake well. So I've dabbled with Diamond Glaze, but I really don't like it because it's not waterproof- and there's nothing a beach girl hates more than diving in with pretty jewelry that's set up for a melt-fail. So I avoid Diamond Glaze for jewelry- and I usually advise others to do the same. IMO, that product is for scrapbooking and mosaic wall-pieces. Not for something you're going to wear.

Resin is a better choice. But then there's the 2-part resin problem. Not curing correctly, overheating in my climate, and the general mess of having to wait for things to dry. Not fun in a 3 cat household- usually hair will land on things before they finish a lengthy drying process. So in steps UV curing resin to the rescue!

Right now on my worktable there is a test pendant with a puddle of Diamond Glaze mixed with glitter, waiting for tomorrow- when I coat it with Magic Glos and put it on the balcony. 15 minutes later I should be ready to know if I can do that and have it work. I'll post results!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...