Friday, November 30, 2012

Why so Curious?

curiosity [ˌkjʊərɪˈɒsɪtɪ]
n pl -ties
1. an eager desire to know; inquisitiveness
2.
a.  the quality of being curious; strangeness
b.  (as modifierthe ring had curiosity value only
3. something strange or fascinating
4. a rare or strange object; curio
5. Obsolete fastidiousness

The use of the word "strange" in that definition is interesting, isn't it? I never thought it was strange that I wanted to learn everything about a subject.

I remember times that I would get an idea, go to the library, check out 20 books, read them all in one weekend, and deem myself to have learned enough on the subject to either want to continue with more k knowledge, or be done with it. Most times I did this it was because I had a business idea, or an idea that I wanted to do something for money- not necessarily "start a business," but to make or do something that I could get paid for.

Cake decorating, children's party planning, gardening, all kinds of art, mural painting, paper crafting...most of these explorations were creative in some way. But the thing is, I totally immersed myself in the process of learning all I could about it before deciding if it was a worthy pursuit.

I even followed this process in college- when friends offered me LSD and one offered to "babysit" me while I went on my first trip. So what was my first step? I spent an afternoon in the college library and read 5 books on the effects of LSD. And decided NOT to try it myself.

Luckily for me, I am a very fast reader. I can read quickly, comprehend, internalize, and learn what I have read. That got me through all of my schooling rather well- I was always a straight-A student with very little studying, because reading or hearing something once was enough for me. I don't have to do something to learn it. So sometimes I lack a little bit of compassion for people who need that step...it's been a great expansion of my skills in being a classroom teacher myself!

Passionate Curiosity has led me to many wonderful experiences in life. I consider myself a person who takes calculated risks- I learn about something I think I want to do, and weigh the options, and in most cases, try new things. I will try any food- once. I will also try anything I deem non-life-threatening usually without reservation. I have moved cross-country with no job into a house I rented on the internet...I have lived in 5 states, and in 11 cities. I have changed careers several times, and still don't really know where I'll end up. I don't usually do life-threatening things. Sky Diving is not on my bucket list. But I do love roller-coasters and ride them whenever I get the chance!

Do you have it in you to be passionately curious? Because if you allow yourself to feel curiosity more than you feel fear, you will allow yourself to have some pretty interesting experiences.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...