Thursday, November 26, 2009

Pleasant Thanksgiving mornings...and new jewelry

We're staying put in Florida this holiday, and having dinner with another couple who decided to do the same this year. Last year I travelled up north at the last minute to visit my Uncle Mike, who sadly lost a battle with Pancreatic cancer this year. Last thanksgiving he had just been diagnosed, and we all know how quickly that disease can take a loved one away- so I didn't want to risk it. I'm glad I went, as that was the last time I saw him. So today I have some sobering thoughts. I thank God for Uncles and Grandfathers- they are two "classes" of men in young ladies lives who want nothing from you- not your success, not to be pleased by you- they only want what makes you happy. There isn't the same expectation as a father has for you- so I have been particularly devastated by the loss of two uncles to the same cancer, and my Papa 11 years ago now. I miss them all acutely, and I am thankful for the family and friends that are left.

My newest jewelry item- handmade wings joined by a "Halo" in the center, dripping with crystals and pearls, is dedicated to them.


I'm making my special cran-apple sauce to share, and a pitcher of Pusser's Painkillers. Google that- it's an awesome tropical rum drink, with nutmeg- that makes it nice on a day like today. Football and barbeque'd pork, here I come. (as you can see, here in FL we eat what we like on Thanksgiving!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...